First Community Service

The first report of Rotary in Community Service was made on March 30, 1915, when a committee composed of Guy Fergus, Joe Brelsford and John Pfister was named to consider what Rotary would do in the “Good Roads Campaign.” On April 6, Edward M. Ayers explained how good roads affect the business of the town (the first Community Service address) and Rotary voted to sponsor for the Good Roads Campaign on April 28-29, to ask each member to help finance the undertaking, and to ask all merchants to close stores that day and join in the work. A parade was organized to arouse enthusiasm. Two hundred autos were promised. Tom McIntire agreed to furnish one team and a road drag. The parade was to have bands and floats. Pearl R. Brehmer was to be Road Chairman and seek 4,000 men and 200 teams of horses. Each store was to provide 8 to 10 men. Postal cards were sent to workers. County men were to help. They met at the high school. Newspapers were requested to carry a blank pledge card to be signed. Some men were to be hired at $2.00 a day.

On April 28, the first day, city men turned out in large numbers with Col. Fred Geiger, 72, and Dr. W.P. Wells, the two oldest men at work. A few farmers helped. The Newark Road and Maysville Pike were improved.

The next day, Chairman Pearl Brehmer reported, “ten times as much work was done as last year and nearly 300 miles of county roads were improved.” Farmers from Adamsville, Dresden and Norwich were out in force the second day.

The Committee demanded $2.00 each from those who agreed to work and did not.


Join Leaders. Exchange Ideas. Take Action.

For more information about Rotary, or to visit a club near you, contact us.