Charter Secured

The club made application for the membership to the International in April and secured its charter on May 1, 1915. An official charter night meeting apparently was not held. By June 1, the club had 60 members and on June 2, the meeting place was changed from the Zane Club to the comparatively new Elks Club.

Frank L. Mulholland, Toledo attorney, then President of the International Association of Rotary Clubs, addressed 400 at the Rotary banquet in the Masonic Temple on May 13, 1915. Edward R. Meyer introduced him.

The club went on, in the first year, to vote support to oncoming bond issues for civic improvements, to sponsor a July 4th celebration at McIntire Park in the new band shell, and subscribed $100 to engage a concert band for the occasion, planned a “made in Muskingum” exposition at Palace Gardens, named a committee to try and secure a new state normal school, adopted a “Buy in Zanesville” slogan to be used on all members’ stationary, held the first ladies night on November 24th at the Elks club, raised $500 for prizes and for those who help make the city beautiful, started “Rotary Wheel” (now the “Masterwheel”) in April, 1916, sponsored a contest for best essays on “What is Best in Our Town?” (Won by Clarence Crossland), and sponsored a city beautiful contest with awards for best lawns, best vegetable gardens, factory with the best surroundings, public buildings with the best surroundings and firm with the best flower box display.

It was a busy year and fine beginning for Ohio’s sixth Rotary Club. Rotary clubs organized in Ohio prior to Zanesville were Cincinnati, No 17 in 1910 and Columbus No. 135 in 1914. In 1915, Ohio, West Virginia and Lower Michigan comprised the Seventh Rotary District. C.F. Laughlin of Cleveland was District Governor.


Join Leaders. Exchange Ideas. Take Action.

For more information about Rotary, or to visit a club near you, contact us.